The role of all coaches is to create a space where our clients become more and more self-aware. Transformational coaching as an approach seeks to go beyond general self awareness by dropping below the surface level and connecting clients with the ‘ground of being’ that is the essence of who they are.
Of course, your capacity to support that process in others is directly connected to the depth of your own Self awareness.
Here are 15 strategies (taken from Emotional Intelligence 2.0 by Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves) that will help you maximize your self awareness.
15 Strategies to Help you Maximize your Self Awareness to Create Positive Change in Your Life:
- Quit treating your feelings as good or bad
- Observe the ripple effect from your emotions
- Lean into your discomfort
- Feel your emotions physically
- Know who and what pushes your buttons
- Watch yourself like a hawk
- Keep a journal about your emotions
- Don’t be fooled by a bad mood
- Don’t be fooled by a good mood either
- Stop and ask yourself why you do the things you do
- Visit your values
- Check yourself
- Spot your emotions in books, movies and music
- Seek feedback
- Get to know yourself under stress
Notice how much emotions (both positive and negative) must be attended to in order to deepen self awareness.
- How do you cultivate emotional self-awareness in your daily life?
- How do you cultivate emotional self-awareness in your coaching sessions?